Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh Nutella, where have you been all of my life?

Quick, think of a food item you don't like.
Got one? Ok, now think about this. When was the last time you actually ate that item? It's been a while, right? It's even likely that you have NEVER eaten that food. For me, that was Nutella. I don't remember every having eaten Nutella in my life. But if anyone asked, my standard answer was "I don't like hazelnut." Then, I went to a friends house, and she had made hazelnut gelato. She was so excited to have us all try it, that I didn't really feel like I could admit that I didn't like it. So, I took my bowl and took the world's tiniest bite. And then another, and then suddenly, my bowl was empty. How is it possible that I had never actually eaten hazelnuts? I immediately went to the local warehouse store and bought a two pack of the family sized Nutellas. I went to the food court and got a spoon and started "tasting" my acquisition. It wasn't pretty. It was Gremlins after midnight ugly. I think I ate about half the jar, the spoon, accidently bit my finger trying to lick it clean, and snarled at my husband for daring to attempt to eat a spoonful. Ok, maybe it was only that ugly in my own mind, but even so, it was certainly not dignified. So, here's my thought...what other things have I avoided, telling myself that I didn't like them? Fish...Brussels sprouts...tofu? Love 'em. Blue cheese...curry...herbal tea...OK well I still hate herbal tea, but the point is I've tried it! Repeatedly. So I have to wonder...what else am I missing out on because I have convinced myself that I don't like it? Or that I am not good at it? Or that I am not "supposed" to do it? It has become more and more important to me lately to make the most of each day...so in the spirit of expanding my horizons, I think I'll go have some sushi, sing karaoke, and teach my kids how to shoot spitballs through a straw!

No comments:

Post a Comment