Sunday, May 15, 2011

The immodesty epidemic



When I was in high school, the dress code clearly stated that you could not wear any tops with spaghetti straps, or that showed any part of your midriff. This also applied to prom dresses. If you were caught wearing something inappropriate you would either be sent home with a parent to change or have to put something over the offending item. Once, I was forced to use a friend's shoelace to create a backstrap for my sandals, having been deemed a dress code violator. I would never have thought of leaving the house as a minor dressed in anything someone would consider "sexy." Prom dresses were meant to make you look beautiful, not desirable. With that being said, can you BELIEVE these dresses? Not a modest one in sight. Every one of these girls is just that, a girl. A child. I can not believe that their parents allowed them to go to a high school dance in dresses like these. Some of those same parents will be saying to themselves "I didn't know she was having sex" when their daughter comes to them with a STI, or pregnant. Some of those same parents will proclaim disbelief when their daughter is caught skinny dipping with the football team. I found a great article about this very thing recently, you can read it here "Parents, don't let your daughters dress like tramps." What makes me sad is that I know one of these babies, so I got to see the picture unedited. I blacked out their faces and let me tell you, each of these girls is gorgeous, beautiful daughters of a Heavenly King. They could have all been wearing jeans with t-shirts and still been knockouts. There is no reason they need to dress immodestly to garner attention. Parents, don't just protect your daughter's virtue, be a tyrant about it. She might claim to hate you when you won't buy her that string bikini that all her friends have...but I promise you she doesn't. Some day, she might even thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment